Friday, May 16, 2008

Finally, a bit Warmer



After a week of snow flurries alternating with days of 50 degree temps the snow cover here in the valley of Jackson Hole is finally receding. In fact, we finally opened the Jenny Lake Visitor Center today, a week late. We spent the week preparing for the opening, beginning with sledding in materials and ending the week with a shoveled path. Today it was 70 degrees.

The Teton Mountains are still snow covered, beautiful, and inaccessible except by snowshoes or skis. It will be late June before one will be able to hike up Cascade Canyon, which is interesting because last year was the first year that I was able to do that in May with my good friends, Cindy and Bob Henry. What a difference a year makes!


Snow along road through Lewis River Canyon

I made my first trip of the season up to Yellowstone Park yesterday. I love that park as well. Even though roads have been cleared the snow there is very deep. My trip took me to the "Old Faithful" area. It is wonderful time to be there because of the lack of crowds. I was hoping to walk the three miles around the Geyser Basin but it was closed due to the presence of two Grizzlies in the area. The Geyser Basin was the only "trail" free of snow but not of ursine.


Old Faithful Inn

Good fortune shown down on me as I was driving into the area a Grizzly came down the road in front of my car. He then dropped down the side of the road by the last bridge before the final descent into the "Old Faithful" area. I was able to get a couple of shots of him. This whole eco-system is "Grizzly happy" this year. I only hope, with so many, that they will not get into trouble with humans, but that is bound to happen.





This is a great place to be this time of year. The wildlife are abundant. And, they all are looking for food after a long hard winter.

No comments: