Sunday, August 24, 2008

Sunday, Sunday . . .


Good Morning All,

It is strange that the mornings up here are getting darker. Guess strange isn't really the correct word, but this far north I am use to the the sun coming up around 5 am. That has changed dramamtically over the last couple of weeks. It is now dark when I awaken signalling, as mentioned in the last blog, that autumn is on it's way.

I spent Thursday night and day in Yellowstone again. After a circuitous route my "stimulus" check from "the Pres" finally made it here, so I decided after paying off one of my credit cards, that I would spend another night up there. I got a cabin at Canyon; have never stayed there (in the cabins that is). It was a another interesting trip in that the wind was so strong that it blew down some trees and caused a power outage in the whole Canyon Village. That morning I went up by way of "Old Faithful" and walked the almost 3 miles around the Geyser Basin. Having earned my lunch, I had a good one at the Lodge Cafeteria there. It turned out to be a good thing as I was unable to get dinner later because of the power outage.


Yellowstone is a great place. This was my 8th trip up there this season. It has so many things to offer. Some have asked me why I do not apply to work there. I have, and turned down a couple of offers over the years. Why is that so? My main reason has been the same as for Glacier Park and the Grand Canyon. Working in a place seems to take a little of the shine off of it for me. I still love Grand Teton Park, and it will always have a strong pull for me, but having worked in the government "infrastructure" here has dulled that glow somewhat.


One month left for me here with the annual pilgrimage to Glacier with Bob coming up in a little over a week. That trip is what has gotten both of us through our last weeks here each season when we are both "chomping at the bit" to get home. This year it is even more the case for me with the coming nuptials of my youngest offspring so soon after I return.


Movie review: This week "Brideshead Revisited" came to Jackson, WY. Although no where near as good as the 1980s mini-series with Jeremy Irons, it was done well and the acting was good. I have to admit that i am a sucker for this genre of Brit films so that colors my review. For many who enjoy the vapid summer barrage of innane comedies and action "flicks," this will be a slow moving and boring film. It is not for everyone. Remember Elaine of the old "Sienfeld" TV shows comments on "The English Patient?" She was bored. If you cannot sit through a movie where there is character development and a real story then this will not be your "cup of tea."

No comments: