Sunday, January 4, 2009

Happy New Year, or at least our Western Version of It!

Good Morning Folks,

I have finally gotten around to my ranking of movies, actors and directors for 2008. My first rule for doing so is that I had to have seen the movie in a theater, not on DVD, or other format. Secondly, even though some movies came out just before the end of year, if I did not see them they do not make my evaluation. This time I have made an exception to that rule and included two films seen on New Years Day! I made special trip to Scottsdale that day to see them. Thirdly, my selection for actors, directors, etc, may include more than one. Sometimes it is too difficult to make distinctions and unfair to the performances. So here goes . . .

Films:

1. Frost/Nixon
2. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
3. Miracle of St. Anna
4. Vicki, Christina, Barcelona
5. The Visitor
6. In Brugges
7. The Reader
8. Rachel Getting Married
9. I've Loved You So Long
10. Appaloosa
11. The Changling
12. Milk
13. Happy Go Lucky
14. The Dark Knight
15. Burn After Reading

Actors: Female
Anne Hatheway - Rachel Getting Married
Kristin Scott Thomas - I Loved You So Long
Angelina Jolie - The Changling
Kate Winslet - The Reader
Sally Hawkens - Happy Go Lucky

Actors: Male
Frank Langella - Nixon/Frost
Richard Jenkins - The Visitor
Sean Penn - Milk
Michael Sheen - Frost/Nixon
Brad Pitt - Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Director:
Ron Howard - Frost/Nixon
Spike Lee - Miracle of St. Anna
Woody Allen - Vicki, Christina, Barcelona
Clint Eastwood - The Changling
Ed Harris - Appaloosa

Supporting Actors:

Female:
Debra Winger - Rachel Getting Married
Francis Mc Dormand - Mrs. Pettigrew Lives for a Day & Burn After Reading

Male:
Heath Ledger - The Dark Knight
Brad Pitt - Burn After Reading

These are my picks whether you, or the critics liked them or not. Some are fairly dark, others a bit lighter, or even uplifting. I saw only 70 movies this year, a lot to some, but down from a little over 90 last year. But, where possible, I tried not to go to as many bad movies as in the past. Although there were a few of those like Pineapple Express ( I know many people liked it's sophomoric, vapid humor).

Happy viewing, got to hit the skis this morning so see you on the flip side.

No comments: