Saturday, June 6, 2009

My Mom

Good Morning,

It's been a while. I haven't felt much like writing anything and have been contemplating "bagging" this whole blogging thing. First of all, it is just a bunch of drivel that I end up communicating, unlike my younger daughter's blog which is witty and thoughtful. I only wish she could find a way to make money doing it. She has always been a very good writer. Secondly (thought I forgot there was a "first" here didn't you?), my friends Bob and Cindy, especially the latter, who got me started on this, have quit doing theirs.


Today, mostly I wanted to give some recognition to the third anniversary of my mother's death. Shirley Ruth Lewis is on my mind everyday of my life and I miss her greatly. In her 82 years she lived a very full life. Being born in 1923, she experienced the great depression as a little girl and teenager. In her late teens during WWII she worked as a "Rosey the Riveter" in the aircraft plants of San Diego, California. She had five children, four of us members of the "babyboom" generation. About half way through her life she became a painter, oil and watercolor. This brought her and us pleasure.


Yesterday Natasha, her granddaughter, and my youngest, told me that I have seemed different since she died, more morose, grumpy, and unhappy. That may be true to a certain extent. My mother was a great force in my life. But she lives on in our memories, and her children, grandchildren and great grand children. There will always be some of her in all of us. However, we miss you Mom!


Ciao

1 comment:

The Cat's Py-jams! said...

Keep writing Dad. I am reading. Esspecially when I move it will be nice to be able to read your words. And it saves on those wretched phone bills you are so grumpy about! :)