Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Good Afternoon Folks,

Today I am saddened by the death of Senator Ted Kennedy. Even though he lived a sometimes flawed personal life he was a great Senator! He ran for the Presidential nomination against Jimmy Carter in 1980 and lost. I think he has been a much better in the senate than he would have been as a President. He always championed programs benefiting the lesser of our citizens and national health care for all. Hopefully, his death will spur on those in both legislative houses to hammer out a program in his honor. He is the last of his generation of Kennedys in public life. I hope the younger Kennedys follow on with his and his brother's legacy.



In my reminiscence of the elder Kennedy brothers I know exactly where I was when I heard that they had been killed. I think most everyone of our generation does as well. Ft. Benning, Georgia in the army was where I first heard of President Kennedy's assasination. I was devastated. With Robert Kennedy 's death I had just gone to bed with my pregnant first wife when a friend called and said, "your boy has been shot." I had been a big supporter of Robert Kennedy on campus while other students were supporting Eugene McCarthy. It was unbelievable . . . Martin Luther King had been assassinated just a few days prior. It was just too much. A lot of people's idealism went by the wayside with those events.


I had my two week anniversary in my new Condo yesterday. It seems as if I have been here longer. It is nice to have my own space. The problem is that the $$$$ has pretty much run out and I am still looking at things I want to add to the place. Guess when it is yours there is always something you want to do to make the "nest" more to your liking. However, it is kind of funny that when I was renting that same feeling was at a much lower level.



So far there have been no overnight visitors now that there is an extra bedroom for "guests." It has been so long since I have had them even with the bedroom I'm not sure I know how to act. But, I do find myself walking around the place saying to myself, "now you have more room." Guess it something we old bachelors do, that is, talk to ourselves.


As for movies since last we communicated, Quentin Terrentino's new flick, Inglorious Basterds, is the only one I've seen lately. I liked it quite a bit, but as I usually say for films like this, it is not for everyone. There is a lot of pretty gory violence. The actors do a great job, especially the lead German actor who's name escapes me. So, I give it a cautionary "thumbs up."


Adios Amigas y Amigos

2 comments:

The Cat's Py-jams! said...

Well if you can ge Jase and I outta here we can come back and stay in your spare bear room!

Evan said...

Okeedokee Daughter Dear!