Sunday, June 6, 2010

Early Hot in Flag!

Mornin' Folks,


The last couple of days have been hotter than is seasonal here in Flagstaff. It was 88 yesterday and supposed to be 90 today. I hate this kind of weather. Warm is OK, but Hot is not my thing. I am not ready for full blown summer yet! Oh, to be in the Tetons where it has been rainy and cool.


Speaking of which, I am heading out on what will probably be my longest trip of the "summer" (granted it is still technically Spring) on Tuesday. I plan to camp the first two days in Colorado, somewhere around Mesa Verde the first day and near Gunnison the second. In looking at the forecast it seems it will be hot in both areas. Am not looking forward to that but I'll be "on the road" again and am looking forward to that!


I woke up in the middle of the night again and began, for some reason, thinking about my name, Evan. Now, when I was a child I hated it because I was the only one around with that moniker. I longed to be Jim, Johnny, Billy, or Bob. As I got older more appreciation for a different name became my reality. I was glad to have it because it was "special," and unique. People remembered my name when they met me. But a few years ago something curious happened, people began naming their boys Evan. I remember my confusion the first time I heard "Evan" called out in a grocery store. I turned to see who was calling me. But alas, it was not me but some little "rug rat" who was the referent. These days my name has become more and more common. I see characters on TV and in movies with it. Guess my days of being "special," at least by name, are over. And so it goes . . .


Today is the fourth anniversary of my mother's death. As it recedes further into the past the pain of her loss still lives with we her children. To this day I have a difficult time dealing with her not being in our world. Everyday I think of her and wish that I could call her and talk as we always did . . . I will miss her to the end of my days.


As I prepare to hit the road next Tuesday, I am bit melancholy about my time in the Tetons. I miss my friends there and the times I had as a Ranger there. Granted I will see some of them this trip but others, I will not. But all things come to an end and I had a good 10 year run up there in the job. It will be nice to see Bob, Laine, and maybe, Elizabeth again. This will be my 20th year going up to Grand Teton NP, first as a visitor then a ranger, and now a visitor again. It has come full circle. I need to treasure this visit because it may be my last. Not that I think my time in this life is closing but who knows where I will be next year.


Movies: The only film I've seen in the last couple of weeks is Get Him to the Greek which I found funny and on par with last years Hang Over. I would say that this one appeals to the younger "gross-out" crowd more than others, and maybe, young males are it's most likely target audience. Again, I probably would not have gone if the reviews by Ebert and others had not been good for this one. Besides, there is not much out there here in Flag. The summer is here and the cinema worth seeing, in my opinion, drops off severely. Of course I hear there are some good children's animated films out but they are not my taste, unless I am going to the movies with my gransons.


Cheers!

1 comment:

The Cat's Py-jams! said...

i hope that the trip cheers you up a bit Dad!