Monday, July 27, 2009

Back in Sweltering Flag!


Howdy Folks,



Wow it is warm here in Flagstaff, but even warmer in this really hot apartment. I'll be glad to move to my new Condo next month. At least it has flow through air (but not air conditioning). But I am glad to be back home after 10 days on the road.




I jammed a lot of activity into those days. My first couple were in Cedar City at the Utah Shakespearean Festival. It was over 100 degrees each day! Although the plays were good and performances, for the most part, excellent, the two in the evening in the outside Adam's Theater (a replica of the "Old Globe in London) were extremely uncomfortable in the heat. I am not one for perspiring while watching a play. The best of the 3, in my opinion, was "The Comedy of Errors," which I had already seen twice this year in Flag with Natasha playing Adrienne. Even though I may be prejudice, I liked Tasha's interpretation of the part better. Another prejudice for this performance may have been because it was the only one I saw inside (with air conditioning) at a matinee.



Next year I want to go back and see only two plays. Three were too many for me in such a short time. They are doing MacBeth, which I have never seen live, and Much Ado About Nothing. Both are ones I want to see.



From Cedar City I drove 550 miles to Lander, WY to see my friends Ron and Brooke. It was hot there too. We hung-out catching up on our lives with each other and waxing philosophically over "OB1 Ale." We did hike in "Sink's Canyon" along the Popo Agie River. Brooke made us two great meals and we ate at the Lander Bar and Grill my last evening there.




Then, it was on to my old stomping grounds, Grand Teton National Park. I spent the next five nights sleeping on the floor at my friend "Old Ranger" Bob's. The first evening we spent at the Signal Mountain Lodge restaurant getting pretty smashed on their killer Margaritas (actually only had two but they are 2 shot ones). The next day, and a bit hung-over as I do not do this often, Bob, Ben (his son and a ranger too) and I headed up to Yellowstone for the day. We left at 7am and returned at 5pm. It was a long, but good day. I did a couple of hikes while there (solo, as everyone was working), one relatively short and the other longer, on my last day. I went up Cascade Canyon. The hike I did was about 8 miles. It kicked my butt since I am not in the best hiking condition.


While in the Tetons I got to catch up with my friends and acquaintances. That was probably the best part of the the trip for me. Although I love living in Flagstaff, I have more friends from my summers in Jackson Hole. Bob Hoyle and Laine Thom kept urging me to stay longer. But, now that I no longer work there, it is difficult for me to stay more than a few days. I am no longer a National Park Service "insider," I'm just another visitor!



Sorry to say I have no movies to report. I did not sneak in any during my trip. The only one's I would have wanted to see are playing in larger cities. I am not a Harry Potter fan so that holds no excitement for me. So, guess I'll have to wait for a while.



Until next time, Adios!






















No comments: