Sunday, July 5, 2009

Independence Day!

Happy Day After the 4th!



I had fully intended to write a blog yesterday but really never got around to it. I am not use to having these summer holidays off. For the past 10 years while working the ranger job I cannot remember having the 4th off. There must have been at least once but cannot recall. At any rate
most days were pretty much the same except for your days off. Most of us liked working holidays because it was double pay. Plus, I have never been much for fireworks . . . of course during the middle to late 60s that may not have been true.
Working during Ranger days!


The day itself, here in Flag, was commemorated with many activities that I did not attend. However, after watching the Wimbledon tennis, I did go down to the Wheeler Park Art Festival. Not that I thought too much about the art; it was just a chance to get out and watch people. I did hook up with daughter Natasha and Jason for a short time there. The afternoon was spent reading and talking with my friend Ed (another Flag curmudgeon) at my usual table at the cafe in Barnes & Noble. In the evening a British Mystery series, The Last Detective, was the activity of choice. I did use my DVR to record my favorite Independence Day movie, 1776.


Today will be my holiday BBQ. My friend Ed and his lady, Bonnie are having folks over and I have been invited. So it seems I will have a traditional activity over this summer holiday. Back in my first years in Prescott they had wild and woolly celebrations on the Square and in the bars on Whiskey Row. Those were fun times. Of course I was a lot younger then. I wish you all a happy holiday weekend.

Movie report: Saw a much anticipated summer film this week. I was hoping for great things but it turned out to be only good. The movie, with all its good actors, disappointed me. The acting was fine but it was one of those films where you feel like something is missing. The movie was Public Enemies, with Johnny Depp. I liked the acting but cannot put my finger on why it did not "blow me away." If you like true crime movies and Johnny Depp go see it.

No comments: