Tuesday, April 29, 2008

When in Doubt, Go Higher (or at least more North)

This is my farewell blog from Flagstaff for 5 months. As my friend here, Ed says, I leave this place every year just at the best time. But those other wonderful mountains are calling, the Tetons. My daughter Natasha will move from New York City to spend the summer in my apartment here in Flag. She will get the benefit of Ed's "best time of the year."






My migration North each year is far more cumbersome than the birds that are on the wing for the same destination. The amount of gear/"necessities" that has to me moved up for that amount of time fills the whole inside of the Subaru plus, a large travel bag in/on the roof racks. I bet those Sandhill Cranes do not carry this load.



Last year, Grizzly 399 and 2 of 3 yearling cubs


I am looking forward to seeing Grizzly 399 and her three cubs/offspring again. Friends in Jackson, WY have said she and they are out of their den looking for food. I have been able to get pictures of them the previous two years. Those who have seen them have said two of the offspring are her size now while the other is larger (probably a male). At any rate she will get rid of them this spring and will be ready for mating again.


My next blog will come from the beautiful Rocky mountains. I was asked whether I would change my "masthead" to the Tetons. I will not! I am still "Flagstaff Mountain Man!"


Adios Amigos y Amigas!

No comments: