Friday, October 31, 2008

Good morning from the Top of AZ

Mornin'

Again, it has been a while. Since last I wrote the road beckoned me once again. Have been to Phoenix to visit Ranger Bob and Mooselee (although am not sure of the latters nickname now that they have moved to AZ) where it was hotter than hell (in the 90s the whole time). Then I was off to southern California to visit family and friends where again it was very warm. Those October Santanas put the temps in the 90s in north San Diego County as well. I hate hot weather! Funny, I loved it when a young "beach guy." I did get a little time for that in Carlsbad with a friend when I first arrived.

My grandsons are a "kick" and always in motion. The number of activities they are involved in exhaust me just thinking about them. With all the soccer, basketball, (baseball to come)various practices/lessons and school activites I am amazed at my daughter's ability to get them where they are suppose to be at any given time. They, and she, are on the go from morn until they go to bed. They have very busy lives.

After the wedding, the move, and the trip I am ever so thankful to be back in Flagstaff where the temps have been in the low 70s. On the way back I did stop off in Prescott for a night. I needed to see some of my friends there. But, as I said, it is good to be back in Flag. I am hoping to "hunker down" here for a while before having to foray out again.

Movie reviews: I saw three movies in San Diego, two pretty good ones, and one so-so. I found "W" to be interesting but think that the director went overboard again in his style of trying to get too "trippy." In addition, the film is too long. Josh Brolin, along with the rest of the cast does a good job with the material they are asked to intepret. On the other hand Ann Hathaway's performance in Rachel Getting Married is by far her best ever. She should get an Oscar nod for this performance. Although the film is a great one i do not think it is for everyone. It is a bit of a "downer." The third film from my trip was The Secret Life of Bees, which is not really about bees. Dakota Fanning, Queen Latiffa (sp), and the other actors do a superb job in this small film about the growing pains of a young white female in the south of the 1960s who turns to black females for solace and meaning in her life. Some might call this a "chick flick," but I found it a good and compelling human story.

Upon returning to Flag I saw Pride and Glory, another cop film with predictable good versus bad policeman in NYC. There are good actors here going through the motions, Edward Norton, John Voight, and Colin Ferrell. I recommend waiting for this film to find it's way to DVD if you are into this genre or these actors.

That's it for now . . . Happy Halloween and be safe "out there."

1 comment:

mooselee said...

Once a Mooselee, always a Mooselee.