Thursday, April 2, 2009

Day After Fool's Day

Howdy Folks,


It seems my entries in this online journal/blog are getting further and further apart. I am not sure what it is but my motivation for setting down my mundane thoughts and deeds has waned quite a bit over the last year. Even my regular journal, that I have been keeping for 12 years (since the birth of my first grandson), has dwindled down to a couple entries a month. Am not sure what has caused this to happen . . . probably just do not have much to say anymore.


My trip to California ended upon my return to Flagstaff last Sunday. It was the first trip that was completely focused on family. For the first time since Mom died I did not see my "friend" over there. Most time was spent hanging out with my daughter's family (at least in late afternoons and evenings) and with my sister, who I stayed with. Early mornings were spent at the gym and on some days following that activity, I went to a movie before "hooking up" with my grandsons and daughter. One might say it was a Little League vacation with alot of time spent at ball games.


Since my return home I have been trying to prepare a little each day for my departure to work in Yellowstone this late spring and summer. I tend to make lots of lists so as not to forget anything. When you are gone for 4 or 5 months, and are 1000 miles away from home, anything crucial you forget you have to do with out, or buy up there. Over the past 10 years of going up to the Tetons I have gotten this down to a system, but still always manage to forget something.


This brings up another related subject. Although I am excited and a bit apprehensive about the new job in Yellowstone; I am also getting tired of these moves. My older friend Ed says I need to keep doing this for a few years. He says he retired too early and it is tough to keep an interest in things without a central focus in your life. Still, I am not sure that this is exactly what I wanted. Don't get me wrong, I do want to attempt this new challenge but would have been happier to work in the backcountry office in Grand Teton Park, especially if it could have been at Colter Bay.



Finally, I took the ski racks off the car. Although we may get some flurries this spring, I think ski season is over. As in past years I realize I could have gone a few more time and regret not doing so. The weather is fairly warm every day, but still chilly most nights. Of course when I get up to Yellowstone in early May it will still be winter and there are likely to be some snow storms, especially at nearly 8000 feet at Grant Village where I will be working and living.


Movies: I saw four while in southern Cal, but nothing really that good. I went mostly to kill time before seeing my grandsons. I saw I Love you Man (mildly amusing), Knowing with Nick Cage (not that good), Duplicity (disappointing and lacking something), and the best of the lot, Sunshine Cleaning with Amy Adams, Emily Blunt and Alan Arkin. This film is a quirky but interesting one from the people who did Little Miss Sunshine. It is not as good as that one but I'd recommend it over any of the previous three.

Ciao!

No comments: