Sunday, December 20, 2009

Winter Solstice!

Good Morning,


Tomorrow the winter solstice occurs, the marking of the official first day of winter and the shortest day of the year in this part of the world. In most North American aboriginal cultures the winter symbolized death. It is the time when the leaves are gone from the trees, the landscape becomes stark, and in the past, food/game becomes scarce. Many tribes of the plains would break-up into smaller band level units to survive. Older, weaker animals, including humans would more often die in this season.




Our culture, at least the quasi-Christian part of it, celebrates Christmas, the so-called birth of Christ, the Messiah. However, historical Jesus was not born during this time of year, but in a totally different season. As is the case with many groups, the early Christian church, the date was changed to coincide with other factors important during that time. Even though it is supposed to honor this man/god and his teachings (that most Christian don't seem to follow), it has become a time of financial gain and garish displays. Although one good result for many is the gathering together of often far flung family members.



As for my Christmas, it will be spent at home in Flagstaff for the first time ever. I will not make the sojourn over to southern California to be with family members there. Instead, the holiday, or at least the dinner part, will take place at daughter Natasha and son-in-law Jason's abode. Since I have not gotten to spend a Christmas with Tasha since she was a little girl it is nice to be able to do that. I will miss being with my sisters, niece, and brother for the holiday meal. Also missed is time spent with my grandsons, daughter Tania, and other son-in-law, Steve. It is a hectic time a year for Tania so I do not get to spend as much time with her as I would like anyway.



Most of all I miss being with my mother on this holiday. She and I spent many a solitary Christmas Eve together sitting in our respective recliners watching Xmas movies on TV while all of our other extended family members had gone off to be with their other kinsman. I remember "way back when" when everyone would stop by Mom's on Christmas Eve. The grandchildren would be running around playing and everyone else talking away with one another. The next day my mother and I would get up, unwrap our presents, have breakfast, and get ready to head over to sister Norma's house where everyone would gather throughout the day. But those days are over. Mom is no longer with us and everyone has moved on in their lives.




Movies: I have seen two films in the last week one that was OK, nothing special, and the other, atrocious. Robert DeNiro's new "family film," Everybody's Fine, struck a cord with me as a father who feels like his offspring have gotten away from him some how as he, and they got older. The movie is a bit too long and drags some, but as previously stated, just OK. The second film, Did You Hear About the Morgans, is truly bad. This cinematic offering proved once again that Sarah Jessica Parker is very limited in her acting abilities. Another actor who is limited (but who I like) is Hugh Grant. Although he is as amusing as ever, his performance here leaves a lot to be desired. I love Mary Steenburgen and Sam Elliot but they are truly wasted here. If you must see this film wait for the DVD.



I wish you all Peace and a very Happy Holiday!


Adios

No comments: