Thursday, June 19, 2008

What a Difference a Week Makes!


Last Thursday I communicated that the snow and rain were still with us in the Tetons/Jackson Hole, with pictures to back me up on it. Well, guess spring/summer are here now! By Friday of last week, the very next day, we began having sunny and warmer days, in the 70s. This Saturday it is supposed to be 80 degrees.



All but the highest trails have begun to melt out, but are still a bit sloppy in places. Afterall ,that is a lot of water to displace. The wildflowers have begun to come out, most prominent are the Arrowleaf Balsam Root, which are usually fluorescent in May. The Lupine are also making their emergence as well. It is another beautiful time to be here.



As alluded to above, I think we might move right into summer with very little spring, especially since tomorrow is the Summer Solstice. It is the longest day of the year and the outmoded Gregorian Calendar marking of the first day of summer. So one should go out celebrate as many cultures have and do. It is marked by rituals customary to many diverse groups.



I am off tomorrow and have visitors from Prescott, a former colleague from Yavapai College and her husband. My suggestion for an activity,when we get together, will be to mark the solstice with a nice hike. It will not be a long one, nor one that goes into the mountains, but a three miler to a lake with great views. I think this a fitting recognition of the day.



Alas, the movie situation is no better this week in Jackson so I will again forego it. I did end up going to "Sex and the City" last Friday for lack of new offerings. All I can say is that it will satisfy those who were fans of the TV series (like my youngest offspring). But, as for the rest of us, it is an overly long and vapid display of materialism. I enjoyed parts of it but it could have ended several times. It suffered from a lack of good editing. It was not really a "theater" movie, more suited to a TV finale, which will be my finale for this time too!


See you on the flip side . . .

No comments: