Friday, June 27, 2008

Friday Morning, My "Ranger" Sunday!



The Tetons and Jackson Hole are officially warm. The Temps have sustained 70 -81 degrees for two weeks now. The wildflowers are in bloom and the vistors to the park have increased exponentially. It is a beautiful place to be.




Earlier in the week, as I commuted down to Jenny Lake for work, I was thinking that I had not seen a bear in a couple of weeks. And, "low and behold," I went only a mile further and there were two black bears, one brown and the other black. I surmise that one is a female the other a male. We are nearing the end of their mating season and males will often follow a female around for a week or two during this period. But, alas, they will go their separate ways in a week or so. If she has a good summer and fall foraging, when she dens in November her eggs will implant in the uterus. Cub, or cubs will be born in February in the den.

.



What is interesting to me is that I did not see any black bears when I first arrived in May. All I saw were Grizzlies (which in the past I almost never saw). But, now, all I am seeing are blacks.
That is your Natural History lesson for today Kiddies!


The Fourth of July is coming up in a week and the park will be over-run with vistors. Shortly after that my niece Kimberly and her family will be here. I am looking forward to seeing them. This will be their third trip here, more than any other of my visitors except a couple of my friends. With the exception of a combined visit with her sister's family (Kelly) a few years ago, these are the only family members to come here during my tenure as a ranger.


I am headed off to do a hike before it gets to warm. Then, perhaps, I will got to a movie in town, which means my next blog may have a movie review. I have only been going to films intermittently this summer as I have stated before, the pickings are lean.




Ciao, from beautiful "downtown" Colter Bay, garden spot of the Jackson Hole Valley and Grand teton National Park.

No comments: