Friday, January 18, 2008

Burrrr . . .


With apologies to my friends in Jackson Hole, but as my Missouri farm boy father use to say, "It's colder than a well digger's ass" here again this morning. The airport official temp is -2. But everyone knows most of us don't live at the airport! Here at my place the reading is closer to +6. The semester my daughter Natasha lived with me here in Flag it was this frigid and she said that she did not mind the cold but where the hell was the snow. Usually the daytime temps are in the high 30s, or low to middle 40s. Yesterday they stayed in the 20s with a cold wind breeze.

There is still snow around from that last storm but nothing new out there. It is all very crusty and hard. At the Flagstaff Nordic Center trails are icy and as slick as snot. I was out there Monday morning and ended up getting into the deep snow to keep my footing. It was a good workout but not much fun as an exercise in cross-country skiing. Guess it was truly "cross-country." Am glad I have those Back Country skis.

The weekend is almost upon us. Really, for we semi-retired folks, it does not mean too much difference in our routines. I remember looking forward to weekends when I was still teaching, but now it is pretty much just another day. Maybe here in Flag it means more people from "the Valley" being here to ski at Snow Bowl. I remember a song with lyrics that stated that "everyone is working for the weekend." Guess working defines our lives in terms of how we divide up time in this culture. Mine will go back to that when my ranger season begins again in May. But instead of "working for the weekend," it will be for whatever days off I have, which usually do not coincide with the traditional weekend.

Have a good weekend all!

No comments: