Saturday, January 26, 2008

Saturday, Sunny & the Heart of Winter


Thursday the last snow storm dropped about an inch, so it didn't do much for the trails out at the Nordic Center, especially since it was followed by 42 degree temps. Decided not to ski today. My cold is still bothering me and conditons are not optimim. I have become spoiled since moving here. Tomorrow the forecast is big rains coming from California. Hope that doesn't happen at 8,000 feet, need new snow.

Some folks here in Flag are already weary of the winter. They cannot remember what is was like in the past here. Plus, as I tell them, we are only in the heart of winter now. But today, for them, it is a sunny day, and about 36 degrees so far.

The thing about winter in Flagstaff is that the days are not usually gray for long. In Wyoming, Montana and the northern tier of states when winter sets in, very rarely do you get sunny days. Even though it may be cold here, more often than not, the sun shines. So, for all those who thought it would be great to retire here and are now cold, what did you think living in the mountains would be like? Move to Sun City or Yuma if you want warmth in the winter.

I am happy living in the mountains with some cold, sunshine and clean air. And, if I were a religious man I'd say "Pray for Snow," as we use to say "Pray for Surf" when I was growing up a southern California adolesant surfer.

As Mountain Gazette says, "When in doubt, Go Higher!"

No comments: