Sunday, January 20, 2008

Sunday, Sunday!


Morning Folks,

It is a less chilly one here in Flag this morn, double digits, 16. Yesterday I went cross-country skiing at the Nordic Center. When I hit the boards at 9am it was -4 degrees, but a much warmer 31 upon completion at 11am.

It was nice day for skiing in the backcountry. What I like most about XC skiing as opposed to Downhill is the lack of crowds ( not to mention I am not much in to speed). Even at the Flag Nordic Center once you get out a ways you only see others occasionally. It brings to mind what someone said to me a few years ago about the two type of skiing. Republicans are "downhillers," and XC Skiers are "democrats," an interesting observation.

The tranquility of the forest and the actual work involved in cross-country skiing is what attracts me to it. I like the workout. Even though I have been doing it for years, my technique is sorely lacking in improvement. I first learned in Alaska as a young Army soldier stationed at Ft. Wainright in Fairbanks where it was actually a part of our job. We were expected to ski with rucksack and rifle on our back and were sent out two or three times a week to ski with our platoon about 10 miles a day. At any rate, I am still a plodding "traditionalist," not the relatively new "skater" type.

Today is a football day. The playoffs are in full bloom with four teams playing that I am actually interested in. I have noticed in the last couple of years my interest in the game, which waned for a couple of decades, is back (maybe it has something to do with age). Who would I like to see go to the Super Bowl? My favorite is New England, so of course them. As for their opposing team, I think I'd like to see the Packers.


No comments: